The Dirty Facts About Logo Mats
IMAGE, HOUSEKEEPING COSTS
- 80% of the dust, dirt and grime in public buildings are “tracked in” from the outside. (Institute of Industrial Laundries)
- Studies show that one square yard of commercial grade carpeting can accumulate one Pound of dirt over one week’s period of time and up to twice as much in inclement weather. (International Sanitary Supply Association)
- The estimated cost of removing a single pound of dirt from an office building can Exceed $500. (International Sanitary Supply Association)
- “We estimate that only about 10% of the dirt is removed from mats with a vacuum Cleaner.” (Georgia State University Test)
- “91% of shoppers select a store because of its appearance”. (Progressive Shopper)
- Without entrance matting, 1500 people can remove 42% of the finish from the floor. (3M Company)
- “It is estimated 90% of building maintenance cost is labor”. (Cleaning Management)
- Dirt and dust cause nine out of ten computer systems failures. (Louisiana Cooperative Extension Service)
- A buildup of .042 inches of dust on a heating or cooling system can decrease Efficiency by 21%. (Environmental Protection Agency)
CONTAMINATION, SANITATION AND DUST CONTROL
- 86 billion pounds of dust settle over the U.S. each year. (“All the Real Dirt on Dust”, Discover Magazine, 1986)
- About 1out of 5 of Americans are allergic to some component of dust. (Dr. Robert Pumphrey, Washington D.C.)
- The Library of Congress has 322 books on dust.
- The average six-room dwelling takes in 40 pounds of dust in a year. A private home may have between 800,00 and 1,600,000 tiny bits of dust and particulate matter in every cubic inch of air. (TRSA Report “Dust Where We Work”)
- The University of Wisconsin offers a course on the subject of Dust Control.
- Over 30% of worker injuries are slip-related. (Wausau Insurance Company)
- The average cost of slip-related injury exceeds $12,000. (Wausau Insurance Company)
Entrance Mat Facts
- Estimated cost of removing a single pound of dirt from a building is $600.00. (International Sanitary Supply Association)
- 70-80 % of dust, grime, and dirt in a building is tracked in from the outside on peoples feet - permanently damaging floors and carpets. (Institute of Industrial Launderers)
- One square yard of carpet can accumulate one pound of dirt in a week - twice that in inclement weather.
- 86 billion pounds of dust settles over the U.S. each year. (Discovery Magazine)
- American Business are spending up to $100 billion a year as a result of lost worker productivity due to poor indoor air quality and "sick building syndrome". (Consumer Federation of America)
- 91% of shoppers select a store because of its appearance. (Progressive Grocer)
- When asked, "What's the first thing you look at when judging cleanliness?", the most popular response of consumers was "Floors" (42%). (CDI Research, 1991)
- Without entrance matting, 1500 people can remove 42% of the finish from a floor. (3M)
Slip and Fall Facts
- Over 30% of worker injuries are slip related. (Wausau Insurance Co.)
- Falls are the second leading cause of accidental deaths and percentage-wise, it is growing 3 times faster than any other cause. (National Safety Council)
- The average cost of a slip related injury exceeds $12,000.00. (Wausau Insurance Co.)
- In the U.S. each year, an average of 7.75 claims per 1 million supermarket customers are filed due to slips and falls. (Foodmarketing Institute)
These mats are the primary defense against tracking in dirt and moisture. Entrance mats should do four things:
- Stop dirt and water at the door.
- Store soil and water for removal.
- Minimize the racking of soil and water into the facility.
- Provide a safe surface that is slip resistant and is not a trip hazard.